Wiltshire to the New Forest
This ride starts in Downton, Wiltshire, and follows the by-ways to Nomansland in the New Forest
Downton Village is an ancient Wiltshire village straddling the River Avon on the outskirts of the New Forest National Park. People have lived in Downton for over 7,000 years. Evidence of Iron Age, Roman and Saxon settlements has been found. Today the village has a thriving community with local ammenities and plenty of charm.
This route has a few hill climbs, but a rewarding lunch in Nomansland awaits!
- Start: Downton Village Centre. Grid ref. SU175215. Postcode SP5 3LZ.
- Finish: Nomansland Village. Grid ref. SU253173. Postcode SP5 2DB.
- Ordnance Survey map: Explorer OL 22 New Forest
- Getting there: Take the Salisbury Reds X3 from Salisbury or Bournemouth to Downton
- Distance: 6.8 miles (11 km)
- Duration: 1-2 hours
- Local facilities: Both Downton and Nomansland have a variety of options for food and drinks, however there are no public toilets in either village. Cycle hire is available from Sandy Balls Holiday Village www.sandyballs.co.uk/experiences/cyclecentre.
- Accessibility: Waymarked by-ways and a few well surfaced roads.
- Percentage off-road for cycling: 60 per cent off-road, 40 per cent roads.
1. Over the bridge
Starting from the centre of Downton village near the Borough Café, head through the village towards a bridge over the River Avon.
As the road bends around past Downton Library head straight up the hill towards a set of traffic lights.
2. Up the hill
At the traffic lights follow the blue cycle way sign to the New Forest on the right. This is a right turning half way between the controlled traffic lights up Slab Lane. Take care up the steep hill.
At the top of the hill keep following the narrow road.
3. To Woodfalls
As you head back downhill keep following the main road around to the right at the fork.
Continue up another hill and into Woodfalls.
4. Hale ahead
At the T-junction opposite the village shop take a right onto the Ridge Road then follow the road through the village.
5. A nice cruise
As you get to the end of the straight road near the park, where the road bends around to the left, take the first left towards Lover down Whiteshoot Hill.
Follow the long hill down into Lover and continue straight along School Road.
6. By-way bound
At the T-junction, shortly after the garage on the right, take a right. Then take the first right onto Black Lane.
7. Black Lane
Black lane peters out into a gravel by-way. Continue straight on.
When you reach the concrete blocks that are in the way, take a right to continue along the by-way.
Follow this track straight until you meet Lyburn Road.
9. Lyburn Road
Take a right onto Lyburn Road.
Follow the road up the hill and into Nomansland.
Download our walking app
Our free walking app features points of interest and photographs.
New Forest code
Please be aware of the New Forest Code when cycling in the National Park.