Skip to main content
close x

Report a breach

Suspected breaches of planning control should be reported in our web form.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that development is carried out in line with their planning permission but we also monitor new developments to ensure compliance.

When considering how enforcement cases are dealt with, it is worth remembering:

  • A breach of planning control is not a criminal offence (other than in a few limited circumstances) and so immediate legal action is not usually an option
  • We cannot take action against a development which we would have granted planning permission had it been applied for in the normal way
  • Government advice urges negotiation to try and resolve enforcement issues, other than in the most serious cases, before formal action is taken. This has implications for the length of time the process can take
  • People can apply for planning permission retrospectively in an attempt to regularise unauthorised development.

More New Forest Enforcement: report a breach

In this section you can find out what a planning breach is and learn about enforcement.

Newsletter Image





Six free walking routes when you sign up for New Forest Newsletter

Subscribe to New Forest National Park Authority

By entering your email below you are consenting to us sending you newsletters. To unsubscribe, email More info:

I think you mistyped your email
Your interests (tick at least one)

Please select one

By signing up to this form you are consenting to receive emails from us. Each email will contain a link to your personal reference settings where you can opt-out or change which emails you receive from us. Please read our Privacy Policy for more information about how we use data.

Subscribe to New Forest National Park Authority

Thanks, your subscription has been confirmed. You've been added to our list and your New Forest walking pack is on its way to you, including a link to download our free app.