close x

Who does what

In the main the landowners are responsible for managing the land. So, for example, the Forestry Commission is responsible for looking after nearly half the New Forest National Park area.

In the New Forest, the Court of Verderers manages the traditional activity of commoning – the rights under which some property owners are entitled to let their ponies, donkeys, cattle, pigs or sheep roam free.

Various public authorities are responsible for setting polices and providing public services in the National Park area. These include:

Contact details

Click on the logos for full contact details:

Forestry Commission logoHampshire County Council logoHighways Agency logoHampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust logo
New Forest District Council logoNational Trust logoVerderers logoWiltshire Council logo

Advice for property owners adjoining the Open Forest

National Park Member


'Stay safe by taking note of warning signs and keeping away from work sites and vehicles.'

Newsletter Image





Six free walking routes when you sign up for New Forest Newsletter

Key To Map

Choose the categories you would like to display on the map.