Planning your visit
The New Forest National Park is the ultimate outdoor classroom offering opportunities to discover, explore, investigate, understand and enjoy the mosaic of environments and cultural heritage that makes the New Forest so special.
Before your visit
- Use our Learning Map to decide if any of the education providers in the New Forest meet your pupils learning objectives and needs
- Discuss the trip with your Education Visits Co-ordinator and ensure you have contacted your Local Education Authority (LEA) for advice on activity choices, qualifications needed and adult to student ratios
- Ensure you have permission to visit your chosen site by checking with the Forestry Commission Permissions Officer
- Encourage your staff and students to think creatively about how your group will reduce your impact on the environment during your visit
- A pre-visit and risk assessment is essential.
Travel Grant Scheme – around 200 schools in and around the Forest are eligible for our travel grant scheme. If your school is eligible, the school office will be emailed in April with details of how to apply for a subsidy towards the transport costs of your visit to the New Forest.
Find out more about the Travel Grant Scheme on our webpage.