Skip to main content
close x

Surface water drainage

Surface water drainage

All planning applications for major developments (10 dwellings or more; or 1,000sqm non-residential floor space) are required to ensure that Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) are put in place for the management of surface water drainage and run-off.

Local Planning Authorities are required to ensure that the standards of operation of the SUDS are appropriate and ensure that there are clear arrangements in place for the on-going maintenance over the lifetime of the development.

A Surface Water Drainage Statement is required to be submitted with all major applications. More information on these requirements can be found in the Surface Water Consultation Checklist and by visiting the SUDS page on Hampshire County Council’s website.

National Park Member


'Read our guidance notes before applying to save yourself time in the long run.'

Newsletter Image





Six free walking routes when you sign up for New Forest Newsletter

Subscribe to New Forest National Park Authority

By entering your email below you are consenting to us sending you newsletters. To unsubscribe, email More info:

I think you mistyped your email
Your interests (tick at least one)

Please select one

By signing up to this form you are consenting to receive emails from us. Each email will contain a link to your personal reference settings where you can opt-out or change which emails you receive from us. Please read our Privacy Policy for more information about how we use data.

Subscribe to New Forest National Park Authority

Thanks, your subscription has been confirmed. You've been added to our list and your New Forest walking pack is on its way to you, including a link to download our free app.