Common Cause: Verderers’ Hall
What is it about?
Forestry England is restoring the Grade II* listed Verderers’ Hall, the 1904 forest courtroom located adjacent to the Queen’s House in Lyndhurst. The Hall is where the Verderers’ public meetings are held and where commoners make presentments for the consideration of the Court on matters related to commoning in the New Forest. Enhancements to the Hall include updated digital display information as well as improvements to access and security to increase future access by the public
What’s been achieved?
- Rebuilding a bay window
- Restoring the stained glass
- Repairing, replacing and repointing internal floor tiles
- External re-pointing
- Improving the access path and gate
- Internal decoration
- Installing audio and visual equipment
- Upgrading mechanical controls and the heating system
- Building a new interpretation cabinet
- Two new films about the New Forest are showing in the hall.
Volunteering and training
Depending on demand, there may be scope for volunteers to staff the Verderers’ Hall to help telling its role within the commoning story to the public during open sessions and at key events. If demand is sufficient to warrant staffing the Verderers’ Hall open sessions with a volunteer, training will be provided to all volunteers taking up this duty. This would include training on specific information about the history of the building itself, the traditions of the Verderers’ Court and commoning life in the New Forest, as well as the role of Forestry England at Queen’s House.
The improved access to this historic Hall will maximise educational opportunities and make it a very powerful tool for sharing the important role played in the New Forest by the commoners, Verderers and Agisters.
Zoe Cox – Community Manager, Forestry England
Tel: 0300 067 4601 email: firstname.lastname@example.org