Year of Green Action events and activities
On this page you can find details of the events and activities across the New Forest in 2019 that are helping people connect, protect and enhance nature. More will soon be added and all are part of the nationwide Year of Green Action.
- The 12 Green Challenges launched, giving people easy ways to take green actions throughout 2019.
- New Forest National Park Volunteer Fair featured hundreds of volunteer opportunities from 50 local groups, with a record 750 people attending.
- Campaign for National Parks photo competition celebrating the beauty and importance of National Parks.
- New Forest National Park staff were joined by local accommodation providers, the managers and club members of the New Forest Paddle Sport Company, and Lymington Triathlon Club members at Hurst beach, Milford-on-Sea. In total 11 large bags of litter, including hundreds of pieces of plastic fragments, cut rope, fishing line, used syringes and several lumps of palm oil, were collected from the tidelines along Hurst Spit.
- A major new documentary ‘New Forest: a year in the wild woods’ exploring the landscapes, history and wildlife that make the New Forest one of the UK’s most important ancient woodlands aired on BBC Four on Wednesday 9 January 2019. Presented by writer and environmentalist Peter Owen-Jones, the programme worked in collaboration with us, the Forestry Commission and Commoners Defence Association.
- Practical conservation days for volunteers to improve habitats for nature will run throughout late winter and early spring.
- Stunning photography by Chris Nesbitt will form the basis of social media activity celebrating the wonders of the New Forest’s dark night skies and encouraging people to try stargazing.
- Screenings of ‘A Plastic Ocean’ will be taking place across the New Forest to encourage people to reduce their plastic use.
- Our Green Action grants for schools and groups open for applications – bid for money to support your green action. It could be a litter pick, pond dig or plastic blitz, just fill out our application form and we could support you with funds to make it happen
- Great British Spring Clean events will be held throughout the New Forest from 22 March to 23 April.
- Litter assemblies will be run for hundreds of local children to help them learn how to look after their local area.
- A new online volunteer role finder tool will launch, making it easier than ever for potential volunteers to find their perfect role enhancing the environment.
- Official launch of a new wild play site in Sway
- Enter the ‘spudFILM Competition‘ entitled ‘WASTED: Global Issues – Local Solutions’.
The theme for the film competition will be about all forms of waste. We will be looking for solutions, positivity and pragmatic thinking and is open to anyone with a passion for film and a creative imagination! There are prizes for under 18 and over 18 age groups and there will be a People’s Choice Award. Entries in by 8 May 2019. This will be celebrated and the awards ceremony will be part of the Film: New Forest Festival in June.
- Discover National Parks fortnight runs from 6 to 21 April, including Wild Play Day – the first of three wild play days to help you get your kids out into nature.
- A special wildlife edition of our residents newspaper Park Life will be distributed across the Forest
- The Big Pedall Ride Out for all abilities will take place on 15 May from Brockenhurst to Burley
- Fun in the Forest event with our rangers on 25 July
- Our stand at the New Forest Show will feature inspiring green activities for all ages – Lord Gardiner will attend to celebrate Year of Green Action, 70 years of the National Parks and 100 years of the Forestry Commission.
- The winner of the new Young Environmental Champion award will be announced on 31 July
- Marine Wonders event with the rangers at Lepe Country Park on 7 and 8 August
- Fun in the Forest event with our rangers on 15 August and 29 August
- Summer Wild Play Day event with rangers on 20 August
- Ashurst Wild Play site official opening 28 August
- Building Design Awards launched with new Best Green Building category
- New Forest Walking Festival will return from Saturday 12 October to Sunday 3 November with dozens of walks to help more people connect with nature
- The autumn Wild Play Day takes place on 30 October
- Family Trees event for people to plant a tree to celebrate a loved one or life event (date tbc)
More activities will be added throughout 2019.