12 challenges for the Year of Green Action
2019 is the Year of Green Action – a 12 month drive to get more people from all backgrounds involved in projects to improve the natural world.
You can join events and activities planned across the New Forest or try one of our 12 green challenges in your own time:
- Try wild play
Have fun outdoors and teach your children the benefits of nature. Families can take part in activities such as deer-spotting, forest crafts, sail leaf boats, scavenger hunts, pooh sticks and crabbing at our wild play events
- Connect with nature and earn an award
The John Muir Award is a national environmental award scheme. It encourages people to connect with, enjoy, and care for wild places and the New Forest National Park is the perfect place to do this.
- Join litter campaigns
Great British Spring Clean in the New Forest keepbritaintidy.org/get-involved/support-our-campaigns/great-british-spring-clean
The UK’s biggest beach clean www.mcsuk.org/beachwatch
- Avoid single-use plastic
- Plant a tree
Each November, families come together to celebrate a birth, marriage or life of a relative by planting of community wildlife spaces in the New Forest.
- Travel green or get fitter
– Jump on a bike and explore the waymarked gravel tracks of the New Forest.
– Take a trip on the New Forest Tour this summer. See the National Park like never before while learning about its rich history.
– Leave the car at home and walk or cycle to somewhere nearby at least once a week
- Use less energy
– turn lights off when you are not in the room
– turn the heating down and wear something warm
– if you have to drive, try to drive more smoothly (less acceleration and braking)
– Useful information available at: www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
- Buy local
There are 150 New Forest Marque members and by buying local produce and crafts you’ll be supporting local businesses and the landscape
- Create a wildlife-friendly garden or join a wildlife count
Wildlife gardening tips from the Wildlife Trust
RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch
There are a huge number of volunteering opportunities with organisations across the National Park, including with us. Come along to the New Forest National Park Volunteer Fair on 27 January to find your perfect role.
- Join wildlife campaigns
Find out what your local environment groups are up to this year and help with campaigns:
Hampshire & Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust: www.hiwwt.org.uk/get-involved
New Forest Trust: www.newforesttrust.org.uk/nft_projects
- Safeguard clean water in the Forest