Food quiz supports charities
Published Friday 16 December 2016
More than £1,000 has been raised by competitive quizzers aiming to taste success in a New Forest food quiz.
The food and drink themed quiz was organised by the New Forest Marque and attracted 110 foodies eager to test their knowledge.
The New Forest Marque is supported by the New Forest National Park Authority and promotes authentic New Forest products while encouraging people to shop locally and support local producers.
Run as part of the inaugural New Forest Food and Drink Festival, the quiz saw 19 teams battle it out while enjoying a locally sourced supper provided by Sway-based caterers Appetite for Adventure. Much of the food was donated by local producers, including:
- Bread from Bakehouse24, Ringwood
- Pumpkins and Cheese from Lyburn Cheesemakers, Landford
- Chutneys from Spice n Easy, Milford-on-Sea
- Pork Pies from Real Food
- Vegetables from Village Veg, Brockenhurst
- Sausage meat from Hockeys Farm Shop, Fordingbridge
- Strawberries from The New Forest Fruit Company Ltd, Brockenhurst
- Beer from Dancing Cows, Lymington
- Water from New Forest Spring Water, Fordingbridge.
Together with a raffle for prizes donated by Marque members, the evening raised over £1,400, which has been shared between The Teenage Cancer Trust and MacMillan Caring Locally.
Chairman of the New Forest Marque and quiz master for the evening Jane Overall said: ‘Without the generous donations and support of so many of our Marque members we would not have been able to have raised so much - I cannot thank everyone enough for getting involved in so many different ways to make it a great evening!’
For more information on the New Forest Marque visit www.newforestmarque.co.uk
Notes to Photo Editor:
(left to right): Amanda Hetherington, regional fundraiser for Teenage Cancer Trust; Jane Overall, New Forest Marque Chairman and Tracey Watts from Macmillan Caring Locally in Christchurch with the proceeds from the 2016 New Forest Marque quiz.
Notes to Editor:
About the New Forest Marque® – a sign of quality
Managed by the New Forest National Park Authority the award scheme was created by New Forest Produce Limited to:
- give businesses a distinctive 'New Forest' banner under which to sell their goods and services and help customers identify quality New Forest produce
- encourage people to ‘buy local’ and reduce the environmental impact of transporting food long distances
- help sustain the New Forest’s local economy by supporting local businesses and employment.
For more information on the New Forest Marque and its members visit www.newforestmarque.co.uk.
About the New Forest National Park Authority
Protect - Enjoy - Prosper
The New Forest National Park Authority’s statutory purposes are to:
- Conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Park - Protect.
- Promote opportunities for understanding and enjoyment of its special qualities – Enjoy.
We also have a duty to:
- Seek to foster the social and economic well-being of local communities within the Park – Prosper.
The New Forest National Park was designated in March 2005. Its unique landscape has been shaped over the centuries by grazing ponies, cattle and pigs which roam free. Majestic woodlands, rare heathland and a spectacular coastline provide fabulous opportunities for quiet recreation, enjoyment and discovery.
Visit www.newforestnpa.gov.uk to find out more.
Matt Stroud, Communications Officer, New Forest National Park Authority
Tel: 01590 646650
More articles in the news archive.