First small grant awarded to local parish council in the National Park

Published Thursday 12 October 2006

The National Park Authority has awarded its first grant from a joint small grants scheme to Rockbourne Parish Council.

The Authority, in agreement with the New Forest Access Forum is working with Hampshire County Council and the Hampshire Countryside Access Forum to allocate grants to improve countryside access and information in the National Park area.

The scheme is available to Parish Councils and land owners who have ideas for projects that will improve access and information about the local countryside. Other organisations and groups may apply for grants to produce publicity materials.  

Grants are available for up to 75% of the total project cost; a maximum grant of £2000 is available. Applications have to be approved by members of the Access Forums before funding is made available.

Projects within the National Park area in Hampshire are jointly funded by Hampshire County Council and the National Park Authority. Applications from the Wiltshire area of the Park will be funded by the National Park Authority only.

Projects that are eligible for funding include path resurfacing and drainage, replacement of old stiles with kissing gates, installation of benches, countryside access map boards and countryside access leaflets.

Rockbourne Parish Council is the first applicant to benefit from the additional funding from the National Park Authority and will receive a total sum of £375 towards a map board which illustrates the countryside access in the parish.

The closing date for applications for this financial year is 17 November – so there is still plenty of time to complete an application form.

Sarah Manchester, Countryside Access Officer said: ‘We are pleased to be part of this scheme. It offers the National Park Authority the opportunity to make a real difference at a local level, improving the quality and enjoyment of the countryside for local residents and visitors.’

For more information about the scheme contact the countryside access officer on 0845 345 4979 or visit

All grant applications for projects in the Wiltshire area of the National Park must be made to the countryside access officer at the National Park Authority.  


Media Contact:
Karen Evans, Communications Officer, New Forest National Park Authority
Tel: 01590 646650

More articles in the news archive.

New Forest National Park Authority news feed


image-fade-right image-fade-left