Permitted development rights

trees and grassland at Roydon Woods

What are permitted development rights?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called 'permitted development rights'.

Please note that the permitted development rights (PD) which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building and there are slightly more restricted PD rights within the National Park (in particular the recent changes to householder permitted development rights do not apply within the National Park).

How to find out if your development is classed as 'Permitted Development'

  • In person: A duty Planning Officer is available at our offices (Lymington Town Hall, Avenue Road, Lymington, SO41 9ZG) between 8:45am and 1pm Monday to Friday for a short informal discussion
  • Telephone: 01590 646615 between 8:45am and 1pm
  • Write in: Lymington Town Hall, Avenue Road, Lymington, SO41 9ZG
  • Via Planning Portal: The Planning Portal hosts a visual guide for householders that helps you determine  whether or not you need planning permission to either extend or alter your home (but please check the small print as further restrictions apply within designated areas like National Parks).

We endeavour to respond to written requests within 15 working days. An acknowledgement letter will be sent advising the name and contact details of the Planning Officer dealing with your enquiry, a response date and reference number. If you need to contact us, please quote the reference number.

Permitted development rights withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas.


Planning Portal permitted development rights

Permitted development rights

image-fade-right image-fade-left