Road signs

Road signs in the New Forest

Signs on Crown land

In general, signs can be installed on road verges only with the permission of the land owner. The verge of most roads, up to the adjacent fence, hedge or other such boundary, belongs to the relevant highway authority, which also has responsibility for road signs on the verges.

However, much of the New Forest National Park is Crown Land, managed by the Forestry Commission, and in this instance only the metalled carriageway is managed by the highway authority. By local agreement, the highway authority is still able to erect statutory signs beside these roads if they are within 1m of the carriageway.

Many verges in the New Forest, including on Crown Land, are within areas of UK or European nature conservation designations. Natural England, the Government’s nature conservation advisory body, therefore also has role in influencing signage which might damage the verge and underlying soil. Any work on signs in these areas has to be carried out to prescribed standards.

The Verderers protect the rights of commoners to graze their stock on the Open Forest and they have also protected the Forest from inappropriate development (including unnecessary or obtrusive signage) for many years. They are therefore consulted on any new signage which might reduce grazing or detract from the Forest.

  1. Road signs
  2. Report problems
  3. Signs on Crown land (you are here)
  4. Speed limits
  5. Tourist signs
  6. Working together


image-fade-right image-fade-left