Call for brownfield sites
We have issued a ‘call for brownfield sites’, running from 22 February to 5 April 2017. The call for brownfield sites will be used to support our ongoing work on:
- the preparation of the New Forest National Park Local Plan Review 2016-2036
- the preparation of a future ‘Brownfield Register’ which the Government will introduce as a requirement on local planning authorities.
The call for brownfield sites is an opportunity for individuals and landowners to suggest brownfield sites within the New Forest National Park that they consider have development potential for housing, employment, gypsy and traveller sites or sites for travelling showpeople.
Definition of brownfield sites / previously developed land
Through Annex 2 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF, 2012), the Government defines brownfield sites (or previously developed land) as land which has already been built on and either currently contains buildings/structures, or has done so in the recent past.
Brownfield sites do not include:
- land occupied by agricultural or forestry buildings
- certain minerals and waste disposal sites where restoration plans are in place
- land in built-up areas such as private residential gardens, parks, recreation grounds and allotments
- land where the previous development have blended into the landscape.
Status of site submissions
The call for brownfield sites supplements earlier work we have undertaken since 2015 in reviewing the Local Plan for the National Park.
Please note, if your brownfield site has already been submitted as part of the earlier call for sites process carried out in late 2015, or during the draft Local Plan consultation in Autumn 2016, there is no need to resubmit any further details.
The call for brownfield sites exercise forms part of a technical assessment we undertake of the development potential of sites in the National Park. The process does not allocate land for development.
How to submit a site and the consultation period
Sites within the New Forest National Park can be submitted by completing a site submission form. We request that you download the form, complete it and email it (together with a location plan and any other supporting information) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 5 April 2017 or by post to:
New Forest National Park Authority
Lymington Town Hall
Please contact the Policy Team on 01590 646600 or email@example.com if you wish to discuss the call for brownfield sites.